The time before, during, and after pregnancy can be filled with a lot of excitement and joy, but is also a period of enormous vulnerability for mothers and babies (and other family members, too, of course).
Many new mothers experience difficulty feeling connected to their baby or reading his or her cues – perhaps due to postpartum depression, anxiety, or a difficult or traumatic birth experience. You may feel uncomfortable admitting to or talking about issues such as:
• Anxiety about becoming a parent before the baby arrives
• Struggling to meet the expectations set for ourselves and our partners
• Who to ask and trust regarding parenting advice
• Conflicting feelings about what it means to be a parent
• Helping a baby who is hard to soothe or has trouble with feeding or sleep
• Wondering if your child’s development is on track and if certain behaviors are “normal”
• Coping with frustrating toddler behaviors
• Uncertainty about how to provide appropriate discipline
Pregnancy and new motherhood can be overwhelming, the BCS Motherhood Program is one-on-one counseling sessions with your Therapist. Sessions are held at BCS, 26 Court Street, 14th Floor, Suite 1416, Brooklyn, NY 11242. (718) 232 8600.
Sessions are also available online if more convenient.
Babies are welcome! However, if you decide you’d rather leave your baby at home so you can take a break, that’s okay too. Do what works best for you each week.
If you would like to schedule an Appointment or have a question: